The Motte and Bailey

The Motte and Bailey public house used to be called the White Horse

The Motte and Bailey public house used to be called the White Horse.

This was always the village inn. The other pubs in the village were originally beerhouses which only sold beer. Eight beerhouses were created in village houses after the Beerhouse Act of 1830. The old White Horse was pulled in 1901 and the new pub built further back on the site. The adjoining cottages were demolished 12 years later and a garage was erected on the land. Percy Wright, the licensee, ran the bus and taxi service from the new pub. In the Second World War the garage housed the fire engine for the use of the auxiliary firemen and was also used for rifle shooting competitions. The garage was demolished in the 1970s and 2 houses built on the site.

Click on the links above to find out more info about this house. You can view images, maps, architectural info and much more.

 

 

 

 

Share this page: