The table below gives details about who owned and occupied the house. The sources for information vary; the records pre 1800 are mainly manor court rolls. Every time a property changed hands, even between family members, the transaction had to be recorded at the manorial court. The names of those who surrendered and those who were admitted and the entry fines they paid were written in the rolls of parchment by the clerk. An entry fine was paid to the lord of the manor and the new owner was given a written copy of the transaction, hence the term copyhold.
All records were in abbreviated medieval latin until 1752 except for a short period during the commonwealth between 1650 and 1660.Freehold property is rarely mentioned but can sometimes be found in the manor rentals. It is difficult to trace the history of a house as addresses are never given ad therefore the only way is to use the owners name or very occasionally the name of the house.
Post 1800 there are many more sources of information although actual addresses are not used until mid 20th century. One method of identifying a house in the records is by the description of the land that went with it or the annual rent paid to the lord of the manor which often didn’t change over a hundred years.
The table is arranged over five columns. The first gives the year of the record and the second is the source document sometimes with a reference number. The next two columns record the transfer of ownership and the occupier of the property. Click on the names to link to the people database. Sometimes there is no link to the database so go to the people page on the top navigation bar and simply type in the name you are searching for. The search function returns all documents where the name searched for appears in that document. Click on a name match to view the document in which that name appears. When viewing a record that contains other names, it is possible to perform a new search on that name by clicking on the name link.
The last column shows information about the property and any comments.
|1784||pollbook||Edmund Pym Clerk Of Radwell Herts||Richard Ward|
|1811||owners||Henry Ward||Henry Ward||Homesteadand Croft|
|1861||census||Thomas Gurney – Baker & Grocer||0|
|1871||census||Thomas Gurney – Baker||Little Green|
|1877||sanitation||Stafford Allen||Thomas Gurney||Bakers Shop With Yard And Garden. Well, Drainage-Into Pond. 5 Inmates Sharing Living Rooms, Sleeping Rooms And Privy|
|1881||census||Thomas Gurney – Baker||Pirton Village|
|1881||School admission register||William Hare born 18/4/1873||Last school – Infant Department, living with Oswald Hare|
|1881||School admission register||William Hare born 18/4/1873||living with Oswald Hare|
|1885||School admission register||Gertrude Hare||living with Oswald Hare|
|1889||School admission register||Jane Hare born 23/11/1879||Last school – Edmington B??? School, living with Oswald Hare|
|1890||School admission register||Jane Hare born 23/11/1879||living with Oswald Hare|
|1890||Land sales||Stafford Allen Sold To Thomas Gurney For £550||Thomas Gurney||Baker’S Shop A Piece Of Garden Ground In Front Enclosed From The Road By A Stout Wooden Fence, A Well Of Water. Together With A Large Garden In The Rear And W.C.; Also A Paddock Orchard.Yard With Timber And Pantiled Building Used As A Stable And Chaise-House. Hen-House Adjoining And 2 Piggeries. A Timber, Lath-Plaster And Thatched Store-House.5 Bedrooms, 2 Sitting Rooms, Kitchen, Wash-House And Pantry. A Brick-Built Newly Erected Bakehouse Fitted With An 8 Bushel Oven, For Coal Or Wood.Brick-Built And Slated Dwelling House And Baker’S Shop3A 2R 2P.|
|1891||census||Thomas Gurney – Baker||Nr Little Green|
|1901||census||Thomas Gurney – Bread Baker||Cromwell Cottage|
|1909||register of electors||Thomas Gurney||Cromwell House dwelling house|
|1910||register of electors||Thomas Gurney||Cromwell House dwelling house|
|1910||rates||Thomas Gurney||F Day||The Bakehouse & Premises|
|1911||register of electors||Thomas Gurney||Cromwell House dwelling house|
|1912||register of electors||Frank Day||Cromwell Cottage house|
|1913||register of electors||Frank Day||Cromwell Cottage house|
|1914||register of electors||Frank Day||Cromwell Cottage house|
|1915||register of electors||Frank Day||Cromwell Cottage house|
|1935||rates||Fred & William Weeden||Fred Weeden||Agric. Dwelling House|