House Photographs - Docwra Manor Hitchin Road
The group started to collect old photographs in 1976 and copies of many of these are deposited with Hitchin Museum in the Helen Hofton Collection. We are very grateful to all the people who have given these photos to enable viewers to see how the village has changed over the last hundred years.
1910s The Old Hall on the corner of Hitchin Road and Great Green closed in 1919. This beerhouse, run by the Males family, was the surviving wing of what some local historians think was a manor house. It was certainly owned by Mr Radcliffe, the Lord of the Manor, and a tunnel is supposed to link it to Highdown. The building was sold in 1926 to the Reverend Winkworth .
The Old Hall drawn by Joe Titmuss