The Fox public house with Colemans Close behind. All the pubs in the village except the Motte and Bailey began around 1830 as beerhouses. The abolition of licensing requirements for beerhouses at that point meant that anyone who paid the 2 Guineas excise payment could sell beer. Most beer retailers combined this activity with another job. John Walker, who took over the Fox in 1912, was also a higgler, a collector and seller of eggs. Pigs and horses were kept in the close to supplement his income.
The Fox barn at the entrance to Colemans Close. The land attached to the Fox was always called Colemans.
1956 The Beagle Hounds meeting at the Fox. The spectators are waiting to see them move off to work the fields around the village with the huntsmen on foot. In 2004, hunting with hounds was made illegal.
Share this page:
Warning: Though due care has been taken to accurately transcribe entries into the database, no liability is implied or accepted by the transcribers for any errors or omissions. This database is intended only as a guide, the user should check relevant entries at source.