1979 Hill Farm, situated at the top of Priors Hill, is a mishmash of four centuries of building, seen in the progressively rising roof line. In the 1851 census, it was a small holding of 60 acres, employing three labourers. It was sold with Wrights and other Pirton farms, at the large auction, in the Sun Hotel, by Jackson,s auctioneers of Hitchin. At that time the farmyard had a stable and chaff house, a cow house and granary, an open cattle shed, piggeries ,cart shed, Blacksmith’s shop, henhouse and various implement sheds and a brick and timber, slated wheat barn with an oak threshing floor. This latter blew down in a storm in 1978 causing some consternation when it blocked priors Hill in the dim morning light. The police had to be called in. Owned and farmed by the Walker family, it was sold without the land in 1976.
Share this page:
Warning: Though due care has been taken to accurately transcribe entries into the database, no liability is implied or accepted by the transcribers for any errors or omissions. This database is intended only as a guide, the user should check relevant entries at source.