Photographs of houses and people
The group started to collect old photographs in 1976 and copies of many of these are deposited with Hitchin Museum in the Helen Hofton Collection. We are very grateful to all the people who have given these photos to enable viewers to see how the village has changed over the last hundred years.
1915 Albert Taylor, the village policeman, and his wife, outside their cottage at Middle Farm in Crabtree Lane. After the First World War one of the council cottages in West Lane was used for police accommodation. In 1958 a new police house was built on Hitchin Road. Today there is no Pirton policeman, only a patrol car which covers all the surrounding villages.