Three gables on the right circa 1900. The large thatched barn to the left of the house stretched down to 4-6 Bury End in the 19th century.
The house faced onto Chipping Green[ Market Green], the girl is standing at the edge of the pond which was used by the blacksmith next to the Cat and Fiddle.
This photograph was taken by the Hitchin photographer Latchmore and made into a postcard.
The window in the left hand bedroom is a dormer window in the thatch.
1947 A doodle bomb dropped in the Bury during the second World War damaging the houses in Bury Lane.All the roofs had to be replaced and the roof of Three Gables was raised so the left hand window is not a dormer.
Michael Gander bought the house in 1974 and later removed the small barn.
Share this page:
Warning: Though due care has been taken to accurately transcribe entries into the database, no liability is implied or accepted by the transcribers for any errors or omissions. This database is intended only as a guide, the user should check relevant entries at source.